Thursday, November 24, 2005

Alternative definitions

In my Berlin III blog of November 21, people commented on what I said about Meanings. They objected that there would only be one DefinedMeaning. Thinking about this, I had to conclude that often one lemma can have multiple definitions and still be the same thing.
  • the problem solving ability
  • what the intelligence test measures
These two definitions are both for intelligence and they have the same translations. I had to learn these among others. As I said in my reply there is a need to decide what definition is the one that ties the DefinedMeaning down. This will be still the same. However alternative definitions are welcome as long as they are try to define the same thing.

Thanks,
GerardM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about military and diplomatic "intelligence". I'm not sure how highly that kind of intelligence would score on an IQ test, or whether it has solved any problems as opposed to creating them.

GerardM said...

'military intelligence' has a different meaning from plain intelligence. It should have its own Expression, Word and DefinedMeaning.

I am sure that if you want to win a war, you need some of it.

Thanks,
GerardM